Fall is in full swing in the foothills of western North Carolina. The colorful leaves have worked their way down from the ridges to the valleys and piedmont. Soon the mountains will transition from to their winter grey, but until then, we are surrounded by some of the most beautiful natural scenery, with endless opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors.
During this season, people in our area want to spend as much time outdoors as possible. When building your luxury home, your outdoor living space is as important as your home’s interior. Here are some times for getting the most out of your home’s outdoor spaces.
Five Tips for Designing Your Outdoor Living Space
1) Determine The Purpose(s) for Your Outdoor Living Space
How will you use your outdoor living space? Are you a grillmaster who is excited to invite people over to experience your outdoor kitchen? Are you looking forward to lounging by your custom pool area? Do you need a place from which you can overlook the lake and access your boat? Do you need a place for the kids or pets to play? Or are you just looking to maximize your view of the mountains?
Your purpose for your outdoor living space will determine the direction you need to go with the design. If you are planning hosting guests for dinner parties, you’ll want to make sure you have plenty of space for people to gather. If you plan on swimming during the summer days, you might build your space around the pool. If you’re on the lake, you will likely be centered on a deck and dock.
Determining your outdoor living themes will help you choose your furnishings and landscaping. You can decorate and furnish based on the theme and centerpieces of your outdoor living spaces. You might have one style of furniture for your outside patio and deck areas and other styles for screed-in spaces.
2) Make the Most of Your Natural Areas
Do you have a majestic mountain view? Is your property secluded and wooded? Do you have lake access from your backyard? Working with what your property gives you will influence how you design your outdoor living space.
- If you have a mountain view, you might do well to center your outdoor living around a fireplace, with most of the seating facing the ridgeline.
- If you are at the lake, you might utilize a nautical theme with decks and boat access.
- If you are in a forested area, you might create spaces for hammocks and make the most of natural shade.
3) Remember the Elements
One of the keys to getting the most out of your outdoor living space is to maximize how often you can use it. You want to work with the weather, climate, and nature rather than against them.
- For open spaces, the sun is nice, but you may want to create some shade to prevent constant U/V exposure.
- You want to make sure your patio and pool are not in areas susceptible to excess runoff and flooding.
- You want to account for which direction the wind blows most frequently and make sure it’s not going to be in your face whenever you attempt to enjoy your outdoor spaces.
- You may want to add heating and cooling options and materials, so you can be outside as much as possible.
When you account for the elements, you can really make the most of your outdoor living spaces.
4) Use Plants and Landscaping to Capture Natural Beauty
Think of your landscaping as part of the overall outdoor living experience. Trees, bushes, and flowers are not accent pieces; they are crucial to the value of your luxury home. You might consider utilizing landscaping that seems natural or planting some unique conversation pieces. Incorporating landscaping into your outdoor living concepts can lead to making a space you and your people will love.
5) Don’t Cut Budget Corners on Your Outdoor Living
Your outdoor living spaces are as crucial as every other aspect of your home. You chose your property for a reason, and you should want to get the most out of it. One of the ways you can help ensure you get the outdoor space you deserve is by working with a professional design – build team that takes every element of your home into consideration, including your outdoor living spaces.
As part of your custom luxury home design – build process, we can help you determine your outdoor living theme, make the most of your natural resources, account for and work with the climate, and choose the right landscaping elements to develop a space you will love for years.
Reach out to our team for a free consultation if you are designing and building a home in Wilkes County, the Lake Norman area, the Triad, the High Country, or anywhere in the surrounding area.