Whether you’re a native of North Carolina or you’ve heard this is the best state in which to build your home, this is one of the most beautiful and exciting places in which to live. We have the mountains, foothills, waterfalls, and hundreds of miles of shoreline. If you choose to build in the foothills or piedmont, you’re never more than a few hours from the mountains or the coast.
In a previous article, we discussed four great places to build a custom luxury home. In this post, we’re adding a new area to the list: Lake James. One of the largest reservoirs in North Carolina, Lake James perfectly blends outdoor activities with cultural amenities.
We’re going to apply the same criteria for great places to build in NC to Lake James.
- Proximity: Proximity to larger urban areas and amenities.
- Age: This list includes areas that work well for young entrepreneurs, Millennials, retirees, and everyone in between.
- Nature: All of these areas are beautiful and have access to outdoor activities.
- Healthcare: You don’t necessarily have to expect poor healthcare in exchange for living somewhere beautiful.
- X-Factor: To make this list, these incredible locations have to have something that puts them over the top.
Building a Custom Luxury Home Near Lake James | Morganton, Marion, Nebo, NC
- Population: 120,000 to 140,000
- Land Price Per Acre: $20,000 – $40,000
- Average Temperatures: Summer highs 75-88 degrees; Winter highs 47-57 degrees
- Average Snowfall: 5-7 inches
- Average Age: 30-40
- Median Income: $35,000 to $50,000
Lake James is essentially the border between the foothills and mountains between Burke and McDowell counties. It’s located near the confluence of the Catawba and Linville Rivers, spilling out of the tallest mountains on the East Coast, making Lake James one of the most stunningly beautiful lakes in the state. If you’re boating in the lake or standing on the shore, you can see views of the mountains and even see into North Carolina’s Grand Canyon, the Linville Gorge.
Location and Proximity of the Lake James area to Other Areas
Lake James has an otherworldly beauty, but its proximity to the vibrant, growing towns of Morganton and Marion makes it a desirable place to build your luxury home. It’s also within forty-five minutes of Hickory, an hour of Asheville, and it’s just over an hour from Charlotte. Even in the most remote parts of the Lake James area, you’re never too far from grocery stores, schools, and other amenities.
How the Lake James Caters to All Ages
Persons of any age can appreciate the sheer beauty of Lake James and its surroundings. Whether you prefer front porch sitting or living an active outdoor lifestyle, there’s something for everyone in the area. Fonts Flora Brewery’s Whippoorwill farm location has ample outdoor and indoor seating in view of the gorge and amidst the amazing natural surroundings.
Morganton and Marion have plentiful cultural amenities, and as we indicated above, you’re never too far away for an evening in Hickory or Charlotte.
Nature and Outdoor Activities in the Lake James Area
Lake James excels in access to the outdoors. Just some of the options include:
- Thirty miles of flow-style mountain biking on the lake. Lake James is the location of the annual Fonta Flora Barnburner 50k mountain bike race.
- Close proximity to premier mountain biking in Pisgah National Forest, Old Fort, Asheville, Lake Hickory, and Kerr Scott (Warrior Creek).
- Countless miles of road and gravel biking. This area is home to some truly world-class cycling.
- There are hundreds of miles of hiking trails. Some of the trails in the gorge take you to backcountry wilderness that truly feels off the map. You can spend a weekend or a week exploring just the Gorge.
- The Linville Gorge is a rock climber’s heaven, with countless options to keep even the most experienced climbers busy.
- Form Lake James, you’re never too far from the Blue Ridge Parkway and numerous mountain and foothills parks.
- In addition to all the amazing land activities, Lake James is a giant body of water. From fishing to skiing to kayaking to wakeboarding, you have abundant options for all manner of watersports at Lake James.
Healthcare in the Lake James Area
Lake James and Morganton area residents and visitors are privy to a UNC Health hospital and excellent healthcare options.
The Lake James Area’s X-Factors
Lake James’ X-Factors are definitely related to the natural surroundings and proximity to Linville Gorge. There is no area in the state that allows you to live in such a unique area:
- You can see views of the gorge from several parts of the Lake James area.
- You can see the lake from several parts of the area.
- Lake James has the best combination of views of the foothills and mountains.
- Lake James has entertainment and food options on the lake and in the surrounding towns.
Lake James is one of the most uniquely beautiful areas in the South. Typically, you have to choose between foothills and mountains, outdoors and amenities, beauty, and convenience, but at Lake James. If you’re thinking about building a custom luxury home, we could not encourage this area more!
Who Should Build Your Custom Luxury Home in Lake James?
ExCo Design – Build helps bring dreams to life in Nebo, Morganton, Marion, and throughout the Lake James area. You can live among the natural beauty and abundant culture you find in Burke and McDowell counties.
Our team is committed to providing a luxurious experience from your first consultation through the design process until we deliver your keys and beyond. Reach out to ExCo to find out more about how you can have a fully customized luxury lake home in the Lake James area.