“Location, location, location!” When it comes to real estate, that’s the popular refrain. Choosing the right home site is as important as any detail about your home. If you have ever shopped for a pre-built house, you know how challenging it is to find something that has everything you need and want in a home. It is impossible to find that unicorn of a property in a desirable location.
Building your custom luxury home provides you with an opportunity to solve both issues. You can build the home of your dreams in exactly the place you want to live. In this article, we are providing some quick tips for choosing the right site for your new home.
Find a Home Site that Suits Your Lifestyle
Do you picture your luxury dream home on top of the highest mountain? Is it deep in a thick forest? Is it on a secluded lakefront?
If solace is the only consideration, choosing a home site far from civilization may make the most sense. But if you like grocery stores, hospitals, restaurants, and nightlife, you might want to look for a plot closer to town.
Do You Want to Be in Town or in the County?
Do you and your family want convenience, privacy, or a combination of both? Here are some of the advantages of each.
Advantages of In-Town Living:
- Shorter trips to the grocery store
- Easier access to entertainment
- Closer proximity to schools and medical care
- More opportunities to get to know your neighbors
- Often (not always) less hassle with arranging utilities
- Potentially (not always) faster internet
Advantages of Country Living
- More freedom and flexibility with your land
- The space you need to grow food and raise animals
- Property is typically (not always) a better value
- Better views
- Quieter streets
- More space for recreation
The Best of Both Worlds: In the piedmont, foothills, and High Country of North Carolina, we have the best of both worlds. You can build your luxury dream house outside of the city limits but still be minutes from restaurants, concerts, shopping, quality medical care, etc.
Do You Prefer Lakes or Mountains?
In North Carolina, we have diverse terrain and plenty of natural beauty. In central and western North Carolina, you can have views of vast mountain ridges or miles of lake frontage. Here’s the case for choosing a home site in the foothills/mountains or the lake.
Why You Should Choose The Foothills or Mountains:
- Charming small towns with charm and vibrance like Wilkesboro, North Wilkesboro, Morganton, Boone, Blowing Rock, and Hickory
- Proximity to premium East Coast mountain biking trail systems like Warrior Creek, Rocky Knob, Moores Springs, and Lake Hickory
- Active outdoor communities centered on hiking, kayaking, whitewater rafting, mountain climbing, and more.
- Beautiful views out of your own front door
Why You Should Choose Lake Life:
- Our area has stunning lakes to choose from, like Kerr Scott, Lake James, Lake Hickory, and Lake Norman (the largest manufactured body of water in the state)
- You’re never bored when you have unlimited access to the lake
- Lake Norman and Lake Hickory are only a short distance from the towns and cities of Davidson, Mooresville, Hickory, and Charlotte
- Beautiful views from your deck and dock
What if you could get the best of both worlds? While we have juxtaposed lake and mountain life, Kerr Scott Lake, Lake James, and Lake Hickory all offer mountain views and abundant lake life. Lake Norman is stunning in its own right and within just a short drive of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can’t go wrong with a home site in any of these areas.
Do You Want Neighbors?
For many, their first inclination might be to say no to neighbors. However, neighborhoods come with amenities such as:
- Parks and playgrounds
- Cycling and walking trails
- Community events
- Friendly faces
- Special access to facilities
There are advantages to building your luxury home in a pre-planned community; however, some may still prefer the seclusion of a home site off the beaten path.
Do You Have Hobbies?
Ideally, you want to find a home site that caters to your hobbies. Whether you choose a site in the piedmont, foothills, or High Country, you can find a place with close proximity or special community access to any number of sports, interests, and hobbies:
- Premium golf courses
- Excellent mountain biking
- Fly Fishing
- Disc Golf
- Rock Climbing
- Flying Planes
Choose a Home Site That Will Have Resale Value
While you may be planning to build your dream house, there may come a time when you want to sell it to upgrade, downsize, or explore other parts of the world. Your custom luxury house is a financial investment that should yield a return if you ever do choose to sell.
Should You Start with the Land or the Builder?
While conventional wisdom might suggest approaching your home builder with your land already in hand, they may have insights about how to choose your land that would be beneficial before you close on a home site.
Your custom home design – build team will be able to help you determine if your dream home will work on a specific property. They will be able to advise on the costs of grading, leveling, building a driveway or road, etc.
ExCo Design – Build Custom Luxury Homes
When it comes to designing and building your custom luxury home, the ExCo Design – Build team provides a luxury experience from beginning to end. We are here for you every step of the way. If you are ready to begin making your dream home a reality, fill out this short form to schedule a consultation.